Sunday, June 3, 2012

Countdown to Surgery

Tomorrow is the big day and hopefully the beginning of the end of 13 years of pain and searching for a solution. I don't feel prepared, but I doubt anyone ever does feel prepared for something like this. I'm not sure how long I'll be out of commission or to what extent, so I've tried to prepare for the next 3 months of my life. If only I could enlist McGyver to help me, then I'd be prepared for anything. This past week I've been busy visiting doctors to fit in those appointments that I normally would've had over the next three months. I also got my car fixed, rearranged my house so that important items are at chest height, wrote checks for upcoming bills, and cleaned. Today I finished up a few last minute tasks such as filling prescriptions and buying items to accommodate me once I return home (think raised toilet seat, step stool, walker, shower seat, grabbers, etc.). Most importantly, I got a pedicure with a close friend and my Mom. Not only was it great to spend time with my friend and my Mom, but also because I don't know when I'll be able to reach my feet next!

I'm very nervous about surgery tomorrow, but I know I'm in good hands. I'm expecting to be in surgery for 6-7 hours. During that time, my surgeon will make an incision on my back in the area of my thoracic spine (upper and mid-back). A combination of 35 mm screws and hooks will be attached from T2 to T11 (there are 12 thoracic vertebrae). Two 1/4-inch titanium rods will then be attached to the hooks and screws on each side of my spine. The attached rods will allow my surgeon to straighten and de-rotate my spine. Bone from my pelvis may be taken to use as bone graft to help fuse my vertebrae together. Over the past month, I donated 2 units of blood just in case I lose too much blood during surgery. My quick description of the surgery may sound simple, though it is anything but.  Below are a couple x-rays showing what my spine looks like now, before surgery.  My personal assistant (aka Mom), my chauffeur (aka Dad), or I will post the after x-rays as soon as possible after surgery.  Hopefully there will be a dramatic difference!  Now, just 8.5 hours before surgery. . .

Upper 40 degree curve

 Lower 53 degree curve


No comments:

Post a Comment