Friday, June 8, 2012

4 Days Post-Op

I can't believe surgery is over with and everything went better than I expected. I was in surgery for about 7.5 hours and recovery for another 4.5 hours. I now have 2 rods, 7 screws, and around 13-14 hooks holding my spine in place. My surgeon indicated that hooks had to be used on most of my vertebrae, because the vertebrae were too small to insert a screw into. I haven't gotten to see the post-operative x-rays yet and I can't wait. I'll probably get to see them at my appointment on June 14. My surgeon was able to reduce both my 40 degree upper curve and my 53 degree lower curve to approximately 15 degrees each. The outcome was better than I had dared to dream. My surgeon said that once I was opened up and he was able to see everything, he could easily understand why I was in so much pain and was having migraines. Several of my vertebrae were making contact and rubbing against each other nearly every time I moved.

I did end up needing some extra blood, so on early Tuesday morning I received the 2 units that I had donated prior to surgery. I know that donor blocod is screened very carefully and is very safe, however it was nice to have one less thing to worry about. It was also a relief to know that should I need blood, there was a special supply available just for me. Because I needed the extra blood, the earliest I could be released from the hospital is today. I don't see how that's possible considering the way I feel. To stay another day or two wouldn't bother me at all. I think going home will be a very difficult transition since my house isn't as conducive to someone in my condition.

To everyone that has been reading about me, thinking of me, praying for me, sent me gifts/ flowers or cards, thank you so much! It means a lot to know that there are so many people out there that care about me and are thinking of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment