Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Almost 5 Months Post-Op

Woohoo! I saw my surgeon today and had my restrictions lifted! I can now bend, twist, squat, and resume my Olympic powerlifting career! Well, maybe not the last one. Scoliosis or not, I was never going to be an Olympic powerlifter. But, I can lift up to 20 lbs., which is 15 pounds more than I used to be able to lift! I know 20 pounds doesn't seem that exciting, but remember, I haven't lifted anything over 5 pounds in almost 5 months. I can now lift a bag of groceries, pick up my dog (no, not the 75 pound one), give little person a piggyback ride... And, I get to start physical therapy - 2 times a week for five weeks and possibly more. Laying around for five months has taken a toll on my body - my cardiovascular fitness needs some work, and ooh those atrophied back muscles. Maybe I'll take a picture and show y'all someday. It's been a rough journey, and will continue to be, but soooooo worth it because I have the rest of my life ahead of me and I'll be spending it in a LOT less pain.

In other news, I got a new car - a 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ in tungsten metallic. I wanted a Batmobile, but they didn't have one in stock in the color I wanted. I still love my new Equinox. It has a power lift gate and a backup camera. The camera has been great since I don't have the same range of motion and can't twist as far. You'd be amazed at how many people meander behind a an SUV backing out of a handicapped spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment